#1. The food is hotter than hell here. You thought you knew spicy, but then you had some kimchee in the land it originated, and holy mother! You will never taste nor smell the same again! Not only kimchee, but everything you touch in Korea is on fire. There is a whole new meaning to digestive problems here.
#2: In one week I've been "almost hit" 4 times. Yes really.
#3: All I've done in Korea so far: Train for teaching 8 hours a day, take mandatory tests, test prepping, cramming, studying, cramming some more, lesson prepping, no eating, little sleeping, and looking at all the emails I can't get to! It goes a little something like this:
#4: I don't read, speak, or understand anything Korean! Yeah, you wouldn't either! It's a lot tougher than I imagined. After ordering several meals of unknowns, learning the language and the characters are definitely priority for me.
But if there are two things that have given me comfort in times of unfamilialarity, it's the awesome people and the awesome coffee! The people are so amazing here. They definitely love to talk to you, love to stare at you, but most importantly, they love to help you. Even when you're not asking for it, but it's written all over your face, they love to try and help. And the coffee! I thought I was going to have a hard time finding it here! I was sooo wrong. There may be more coffee shops here than in the NW! I don't know how or why, but Korea definitely got the memo on coffee somewhere down the line. Happiness.
4 comments:
Ahh damn and I thought I would have to send you some coffee to remind you of the NW. Oh well, guess I will have to do more thinking. Glad everything is going ok so far. Maybe when you learn the language you wont keep ordering the hot shit.
Lindsey...I hate to break it to you but this is a Korean news written in Japanese! No Joke. Korean is hard I'm sure, but it would be even harder if you're learning Korean and trying to read Japanese ;)
thanks for emailing us the blog, its added to our daily blogs we check now! I gotta email you the picture we have of you and Néli.. the one you posted is really cute too. love ben.
Umm Makiko, that's embarrassing! Way to point it out in front of everyone! :) Ahhhh. Well, you'll be glad to know I've now learned a couple characters. It's changing my world!
Post a Comment